A Mommy’s Gift to Jesus

Jesus, there are 10 days left for Christmas!!!

I haven’t got anything special done for you

There’s so much I wanted to do

There’s so much I wanted to be

But this year has gotten the better of me

Now there’s 10 days left for Christmas

And I’m scrambling for time and energy to make it special for you

 

I had thought of an amazing gift for you: the very best of me

The purpose-filled, high-energy, go-getter version of me

But life has to be done

Problems have to be solved

People have to be cared for

Things keep breaking that need mending

Household equipment, health, hearts, relationships

And before I know it, all that I got from you in the morning

Is spent by evening, leaving me empty again

 

No matter how much I try

To set aside everything else to be with you

Only with you, wholly with you

There are interruptions, distractions, temptations

And the unending care-giving

And at the end of the day, my exhausted body caves in and….

It’s another day closer to Christmas

 

So, Jesus, since you have been with me through it all

And you know the details inside out

I feel safe to say to you, Jesus

Unfortunately, this is all I’ve got

 

This is the very best of me:

 


The struggling mommy

The coping mommy

The trying mommy

The scrambling mommy

The winging-it mommy

 

So, all I have to give you for Christmas:

Is this aching body housing this peaceful soul, mind and heart

This living sacrifice that keeps slipping off the altar

But keeps climbing back on

This daily commitment to be set apart for you

To do every day to please you

 

Please accept this gift and make it into whatever you want for Christmas, Jesus! Amen!

 “… by the mercies of God, present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” Romans 12:1


 

If you can’t see the video, click here

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3iG1gkW9R0

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ABC of Dementia Caregiving

LISTEN

10 things about motherhood that I wish I knew before becoming a mother